MONSTER BOY AND THE CURSED KINGDOM Original Soundtrack (2021)

Definitely an underrated soundtrack – and, possibly, an underrated game.

I used to play the studio's first game, Flying Hamster, on my old iPad. Nice and fun little shmup in the same spirit as the PC Engine's wackiest titles. When Game Atelier announced on Kickstarter they'd be making a sequel mixing Flying Hamster with Monster World gameplay, I was thrilled and backed them up right on!

They spent a while working on it, getting higher budget and support from a publisher, broadening the game's lore and level design... I backed the PC version but ended playing the final release on Switch. :p Anyway, it's an awesome game! Beautiful visuals and an excellent soundtrack (I mean just look at the names of the composers involved); a smart platformer with the famous transformations that made Wonder Boy / Monster World famous (and Shantae... ;) ); in-game progression is a bit metroidvania but the level design is actually quite fresh, not too labyrinth-like. And the overall spirit of the game is a love letter to 90s games, with many references and easter eggs!

So yeah, play that game already. If you did, play it again. Then listen to the soundtrack every day. Then buy the soundtrack if it's still available somewhere. ^^

Agree with absolutely everything you said, though I see metroidvania as an awesome thing. ...Thanks in part to Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap.

Last edited:
Back